Thursday, June 22, 2006

Barefoot Natives @ Hawaiian Hut


From today's "In the Mix" column in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin:

Natives are taking control

I'M NOT going to waste space and try to convince you to check out the Barefoot Natives' Oahu debut tonight and tomorrow.
That's because Willie Kahaialii and Eric Gilliom don't need my help. They've already built quite a buzz from their home on Maui, and have won crowds over from the neighbor islands since their self-titled album was released last month.

What I will tell you about, however, is how much more there is to Kahaialii than meets the eye.

Did you know the man loves golf, and has plans to take his successful annual fundraising tournament on Maui and turn it into a state-wide affair? Or how about his efforts to open a youth center on Maui that will teach keiki about the music business? Or the fact that he's been clean and sober for almost a year?

Just don't think he's mellowing out too much - he is still Willie K, folks.

"I still tell them how I really feel," he said with a laugh earlier this week. "I put them in their place.

"My favorite line is when people go, 'excuse me, I don't want to bother you.' You know what I tell them? 'But you're going to anyway,' and they go right ahead. But it's all good. It's all different now."

The Barefoot Natives take over the Hawaiian Hut tonight and tomorrow starting at 8 p.m. Tickets are $35 at the door ...


I'm pretty excited about going to one of the Oahu shows... I had a chance to listen to the entire album, and da bugga is no ka oi... plus, I hear the two of those guys have some great on-stage chemistry together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home